Saturday, 19 October 2013

Day 3 | Real Techniques Core Collection (& dupe) review

Posted by Runzhi C at 18:40
Hello beauties!

Today I'm writing a review about my beloved Real Techniques Core Collection (plus my Buffing brush dupe). I read the blog post by Beautiful Solutions here. Please check out her amazing blog! I definitely don't regret buying the dupe - all the links are in her blog post!

Day 3 - Real Techniques Core Collection (& dupe)


First impressions I had read a lot of reviews about this brush collection, so I did not hesitate to buy in when Boots had it on offer! The brushes are made from Taklon fibres, which means these are animal cruelty free since they are synthetic. Another bonus of these fibres is that they are more hygienic due to the smoother surface (bacteria and other nasties can't cling onto them as easy). Taklon is also meant to be a substitute for sable fur!

Detailer brush Personally, I don't use this brush as much as I should! It's the perfect tiny brush for concealer, lipstick or to use to blend eyeshadow. It's quite a stiff brush, so I suggest not being too harsh if you are using it to blend eyeshadow: the Real Techniques Starter Set does a much better job!

Pointed foundation brush This brush is also a nifty brush for foundation. It is quite a dense brush and pointed to get into the hard-to-get places of the face. My foundation goes on with quite full coverage using this brush, and even then I prefer to use the buffing brush over the top. I can imagine this brush being good for mousse foundations or powder-to-cream foundations. I have tried to use it with blusher (I mean, who doesn't like multi-functional brushes?!) but it picks up quite a lot of product so I had to tap the excess off and blend well! All in all, it is a nice brush but I prefer the buffing brush for my liquid foundation. This is my staple brush for blending in my concealer, as it is feather-like and easy to manipulate.

Contour brush I cannot express my love for this brush! It is so so so soft and tapered to allow perfect contouring of the face. I've never owned a brush like this, I definitely think it's quality and ease of use is unique to the contouring market (or maybe I live under a rock!). Picks up the bronzer perfectly, and it is good for blending too. I also have used this brush for blusher before, and it fits nicely onto my cheeks. It is tapered all the way around the brush, with slight slants on both sides to fit nicely in the hollows of your cheeks. I love using this brush with my Sleek Contour Kit!

Buffing brush This brush is absolutely amazing for liquid foundation! I actually understood the rave about this brush once I had used it for two days in a row. It left me a flawless finish on the skin with just the right amount of foundation to cover my blemishes. The fibres picked up the foundation nicely, and I did not lose too much product in the brush - bonus! It is also very soft, and doesn't irritate the skin as some brushes can. It is perfect as it makes my foundation look seamless. I wish Real Techniques sold this brush separately for a spare!




Buffing brush dupe
On the left, it is the real Buffing brush. On the right, it is the dupe with the slightly curved handle. Aesthetically, the only difference is that the handle is clearly a different shape and a lighter gold colour. The fibres also are a bit paler, and the top white tips of the brush is more uneven than the real thing. I bought the dupe from eBay (the link is on Beautiful Solutions dupe post!). I think the dupe is a lot more dense, and it is more like a mix between the Real Techniques Buffing Brush and the Expert Face Brush. The fibres are still very, very soft and a good, cheap alternative to buying the whole collection for the Buffing Brush. I've experienced no hair fall-out yet, even after a wash! The quality is surprisingly good, for the price I paid (£2.57 I think!). I like to use the dupe as a spare for when my brushes are drying, or needing a wash. The only downside is probably the time it took to deliver: I paid for it on eBay and it didn't arrive until 2 1/2 weeks later when I nearly forgot that I ordered it! Nevertheless, it is a fabulous brush as a spare, and it definitely applies make-up very much similar to the real Buffing Brush. I'd still suggest getting the whole Real Techniques Core Collection, the Contour, Pointed Foundation, and Detailer brush - it works out at around £5 a brush anyway.

The link to buy the Real Techniques Core Collection for only £16.29 and free delivery to the UK: Real Techniques Core Collection (2013)
The link to Beautiful Solutions, where you can find the dupe blog post: Beautiful Solutions

Thank you for reading lovelies! Hopefully it's helped you make up your mind about the Real Techniques Core Collection, and also made you aware of the Buffing Brush dupe!

So which is your favourite brush? Do you think you'll be tempted to buy the dupe?

Follow my blog with Bloglovin, leave a comment, subscribe on Google+, follow me on Instagram (@runzhi_) - I'll definitely check out your blogs too!



1 comments:

Charlotte MacDonald-Gaunt on 20 October 2013 at 10:51 said...

I love the RT brushes and can't wait to get some more to my growing collection :o). Xx

http://makeupbycandlelight.blogspot.co.uk/

Post a Comment

 

(500) Days of Make-up Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos